Ultimaker 2+ 3D Printers
|Owing to it's dangerous nature, delicate nature, or expense, this tool requires that you be inducted on it's proper handling before use.|
IntroductionThe lab has a pair of Ultimaker 2+ 3D printers. The Ultimaker 2+ 3D printer is a pro-sumer level 3D printer that has a build volume of approximately 200mm x 200 mm x 200mm. Its head can reach 260C and the bed up to 110C which allows us to print in a wide variety of materials including PLA, ABS, PET, PETg, HIPS, TPU, ASA, PVA, PVB and Nylon. Induction is required for the 3D printers, not so much because they're dangerous (although they do have hot parts and pinch points) but because they're delicate and expensive and some knowledge is required to get good results.
The manual for the 3D printer is here.
|26th April 2021||Fully Functional||Run the 0.4mm printer at 75% speed if under-extruding the filament.|
The printers are kept in the main upstairs area between the workstation PC's with a box of accessories and cleaning materials near by. A selection filament is kept on the spool holders above the printers with additional supplies kept on the shelves behind the door to the main room, but if there's something specific you need for your project it's best to buy it yourself. Some filaments spools are owned by members and permission will have to be sought before using them, others are labelled with a price per gram and are available for general use. There may be some additional short lengths of filament kept in a box in the store cupboard in the main room. There is a charge for using the 3D printers which depends on the material used and the weight of the 3D print in question. All the materials in the lab are labelled with a price per gram (as measured in Cura when you slice the model) and there's a 50p minimum charge, if you use your own filament then only the 50p minimum charge applies. Use-charges for the 3D printers should go in the main room honesty pot by the door. For commercial use these charges are doubled.
Care must be taken to slice the model for the correct print nozzle size as the two printers are fitted with different nozzles. The left-hand printer is fitted with a 0.4mm nozzle and the right-hand printer has a 0.6mm nozzle. The smaller nozzle can produce finer results but at a slower print speed, 0.25mm and 0.8mm nozzles are available, contact any maintainer if you need to use them. We are using Olsson ruby nozzles in both printers to extend the lifespan and range of materials that can be printed.
Parts and upgrades that are planned/Budgeted/Purchased for in the near future
Ultimaker 2+ Caretakers
The following people are able to provide inductions on the Ultimaker 2+
These are the people who look after and repair the Ultimaker 2+, they're the ones to contact if there's any problems with it
If you make any non-trivial changes to the Ultimaker 2+ or perform maintenance please note it here, delete records older than 1 yr
- Clean feeder on 0.4mm printer. Check nozzle and re-level the bed. Jmf (talk) 20:21, 26 April 2022 (BST)
- Adjust configuration on 0.4mm printer to compensate for worn feed roller Stever (talk) 22:18, 15 April 2022 (BST)
- Relevelled bed on 0.4mm printer, cleaned and re-lubed the axis rods. Stever (talk) 16:43, 1 April 2022 (BST)
- Report of issues with 0.6mm printer/bed adhesion. Cleaned bed (was filthy) checked alignment, did test print, no fault found, suspect operator error. Stever (talk) 17:03, 16 December 2021 (UTC)
- Lubricate the axis rods on both printers. Looks like all the lube was wiped off by someone and it was causing travel to get screwed up Stever (talk) 16:21, 27 July 2021 (BST)
- Replace belts and slider blocks on 0.6mm printer. Re-seat cables to display. Jmf (talk) & Ruperte (talk) 17:37, 27 June 2021 (BST)
- Fix head cooling fan on 0.6mm printer Stever (talk) 15:28, 1 June 2021 (BST)
- Clean and overhaul feed mechanism on 0.4mm 3D printer, was assembled incorrectly Stever (talk) 17:10, 7 May 2021 (BST)
- Clean and relube axis rods and z-axis leadscrews. Deep clean of printer beds. Jmf (talk) 20:15, 10 April 2021 (BST)
- Clean and relube axis rods, un-clog nozzle on 0.6mm printer Stever (talk) 17:33, 24 October 2020 (BST)
- Live-view webcam installed and made available on the wiki Jmf (talk) & Ruperte (talk) 17:57, 7 July 2020 (UTC)
- Reinstall ruby nozzles and recommission printers after return from NHS efforts. Stever (talk) 06:27, 8 June 2020 (UTC)
- Thorough clean and complete overhaul of both printers. Stever (talk) 10:58, 1 April 2020 (UTC)
- Second printer installed and tested. Jmf (talk) 18:02, 5 May 2019 (UTC)