A page to track the electrical changes requested and made in rLab.
Any works carried out on the building electrical supply MUST be completed in accordance with the current version of the IET Requirements For Electrical Installations (the Electrical Regs) and by people who know what they are doing. This is one area where we do not simply 'hack the space' as the consequences of getting it wrong are too severe.
As data cabling often overlaps with the electrical installation, sharing trunking etc, it is also covered on this page.
If you have any projects that may need changes to the lab electrical system, please ask before you go ahead with the project. Anything unsafe will be removed without notice.
- Main Room re-work project - Power for the west wall, and the 3d printers
- Test and sort out the emergency lighting
- Install new emergency lighting for the Laser Room and back stairs
- Sort out the main distribution boards
- Tidy up the data rack
- Put in a fused outlet for the Workshop air cleaner
- Install worklight for the wood lathe
- Install extractor fan for the Workshop
- Connect up extractor fan in toilet
- Move upstairs lights onto the Kitchen board
- Replace failing sockets on Workshop pillars
- Balance power phases - move load off L3 onto L1 & L2
- Replace NVR switch on bandsaw - difficult to switch off.
- Rewire Laser room. Install data cabling to both walls
- Replace Workshop extension leads with durable, 13a rated leads suitable for a workshop environment
- Install new sub-board in the Kitchen for upstairs power
- Install new circuits in the Kitchen for the fridge, microwave, dishwasher etc
- Remove old circuit from the building signage - we don't have an illuminated sign
- Install new lighting in Kitchen. Ceiling lights and under-cupboard lighting
- Re-fit LoRaWAN gateway with power feed to upstairs cupboard
- Replace UPS for the 3d printers - need to support a second printer
- Replace batteries in data rack UPS
- Install new radial circuit in the upstairs cupboard for fume extract and future data closet
- Replace Workshop fluorescent tubes with LED low energy tubes
- Replace Bay fluorescent lights with LED low energy lights
- Install new ring main in the Workshop for the east wall, plus data cabling. Add points for lathe worklight and extractor fan
- Tidy up old power and data cabling between Main room and Workshop
- Replace Main room fluorescent lights with LED ceiling panels
- Install new ring main for the electronics benches, plus data cabling
- Remove wall-mounted extension leads from Workshop and fit metal-clad sockets on the ring main
- Install 16A extention socket from bandsaw to center pillar for MIG welder use
- Tidy up power for the Workshop inspection microscope
- Replace Laser room fluorescent lights with LED ceiling panels
- Replace Lobby fluorescent lights with LED ceiling panel
- Install frost protection heaters in both toilets
- Install fused outlet in Workshop for the auto dust extractor on the bandsaw
- Document the different distribution boards
- Fit new overhead lighting for the kitchen table
- Fit lighting socket above stairs for feature lighting
- Replaced failed e-stop contactor in Main Workshop. Fix e-stop / keyswitch contention problem.
- Install additional double socket in Laser Room for new leather sewing machine
- Rebuild board DB3A; provide power for new planer thicknesser
- Replaced broken socket in kitchen
- Investigate building power monitor and re-instate
- Install fused spur for the Air Cleaner. Remove chained extension leads.
- Replace damaged socket on east wall. Switch welded closed due to overload.
A fish key for the emergency lighting switches is kept in the upstairs distribution board cupboard in the kitchen.
Distribution Board Schedules
This schedule is accurate as of 18/06/2021
|Lobby Lights||Merlin Gerin||10K||B||6A||MCB||1L1||4||MCB||32A||C||10K||Schneider||3-phase,
Feed for DB3A
|Loading Bay Lights||Merlin Gerin||10K||B||10A||MCB||1L2|
|Mezzanine Lights (Laser Rm)||Merlin Gerin||10K||B||6A||MCB||1L3|
|Toilet Heaters||Merlin Gerin||10K||C||10A||MCB||2L1||5||MCB||20A||B||10K||Merlin Gerin||3-phase, Metal Lathe|
|Kitchen Sockets||Merlin Gerin||10K||B||20A||MCB||2L2|
|Data Rack||Merlin Gerin||10K||B||15A||MCB||2L3|
|Not Fitted||3L1||6L1||MCB||10A||B||10K||Merlin Gerin||Workshop Lights|
|Fire Alarm||Merlin Gerin||10K||B||15A||MCB||3L2||6L2||MCB||32A||B||6K||Merlin Gerin||Main Room Sockets|
|E-stop Loop||Merlin Gerin||10K||B||16A||MCB||3L3||6L3||MCB||50A||B||10K||Merlin Gerin||Feed to DB1A, Workshop sockets|
|1||30mA RCBO||32A||C||10K||MEM||North and West Wall sockets|
|2||30mA RCBO||32A||C||10K||MEM||Sockets on pillars|
|3||30mA RCBO||32A||C||10K||MEM||East Wall sockets|
|4||30mA RCBO||16A||C||10K||MEM||Bandsaw (shared with 16A Welder socket)|
|2||MCB||16A||B||6K||MK||Energy Monitor socket|
|6||MCB||50A||B||6K||MK||Feed for Kitchen board|
|7||MCB||16A||C||10K||Chint||Kitchen and Workshop heat pumps|
|9||MCB||6A||B||6K||MK||Main Room lights|
Distribution Board DB3A
32A 3-phase panel, connected via an emergency stop contactor. The metal lathe has a junction in here as well.
|1||30mA 3-phase RCBO||16A||C||6K||MCG||Pillar Drill|
|2||30mA 3-phase RCBO||16A||C||6K||MCG||Pedestal Grinder|
|3||30mA RCBO||16A||C||6K||MCG||West Pillar 16A socket|
|4||30mA RCBO||16A||C||6K||MCG||East Pillar 16A socket|
|3||MCB||32A||B||6K||BG||Laser Room Sockets|
|5||MCB||6A||B||6K||BG||Not used (Main Room lights)|
|6||MCB||32A||B||6K||BG||(For Main Room Sockets)|
|9||MCB||6A||B||6K||BG||Not used (Laser Room Lights)|