The chemical cupboards contains a number of dangerous chemicals. While many of these are common in a domestic environment, we must responsibly implement some controls in a shared space. We have 2 chemical storage cupboards, one rated for flammable materials which is located under the sink, the other is rated for corrosive and oxidising materials and is kept on the opposite side of the room; this allows us to separate chemicals which may react violently so that the risk of hazardous reactions will be reduced. For the moment the flammables materials cupboard is not locked, but must be kept closed! The corrosives cupboard is locked, keys are available from the directors if you need access, we're working on a more user-friendly access system. rLab keeps a stock of generally useful chemicals which are replaced when needed and may from time to time also have other chemicals which were useful for specific projects but will not be automatically replaced when they run out. Member's chemicals can be stored but only with prior approval from those who look after the chemical cupboards which will not be granted unless absolutely essential for a project. If in any doubt whatsoever about your ability to handle a chemical safely, then DON'T! Seek advice from other members with more experience or from commercial safety advisers before proceeding.
- All dangerous chemicals must be stored in the appropriate chemical cupboard and returned there immediately after use
- Suitable PPE must be used when handling chemicals, check the MSDS for what that PPE is
- Use of dangerous and obnoxious chemicals should be constrained to the "wet and smelly" areas whenever possible
- Use of horribly smelly chemicals or experiments likely to produce toxic/corrosive fumes must be confined to the fume hood and continually supervised
- All dangerous chemicals must carry a clearly printed label (handwritten labels NOT OK) with chemical name and display hazard signs described in the MSDS for the chemical and the safety/risk phrases suitable for it. If the chemical is owned by a member it must also state member who brought it in, date brought in and date it will be removed.
- Chemical cupboard A under the sink is for flammable materials, nothing oxidising or corrosive may be stored here. Chemical cupboard B in the far corner is for oxidising or corrosive materials and no flammable materials may be stored here.
- Dangerous chemicals must not be stored in food or drink containers of any sort. No dangerous chemicals are allowed in the kitchen area or toilet.
- A MSDS must be available in this wiki or linked from it for all dangerous chemicals brought into the space.
- No chemical can be brought to the space unless appropriate PPE is provided and maintained, and safety controls are proven adequate.
- No legally prohibited substances should be brought to the space EVER!
- No substances requiring an Explosive Precursor and Poisons (EPP) License should be brought to the space EVER!
- Paints and lubricants for general use have their own separate storage area and should not be kept in chemical cupboards
- Any chemical that is found in the cupboards that is in contravention of these rules will be immediately removed and disposed of. Member's materials stored in this cupboard that are in contravention of any of these rules or which any of the members looking after the cupboard consider to present an un-necessary risk will be removed and disposed of immediately with no compensation to the owner
This should be a complete inventory of the chemicals being stored at rLab, if you've used or replaced any of the chemicals then please update this inventory to reflect that. Any chemical found in the cupboards that does not appear in this inventory will be immediately removed and disposed of.
These are the chemicals that are frequently and generally useful so we maintain a stock of them for member to use. If your use of them takes the actual stock level below the expected stock level then post on the mailing list and re-stocking will be arranged. If you are finding you need to routinely use a chemical that is not on this list, please raise it on the mailing list or with the downstairs team and we'll consider if it should be made a stock chemical.
|Product Name||Chemical Name(s)||Hazards||Location||Expected stock level||Actual Stock level||Notes|
|Acetone||Acetone, DiMethylKetone||Flammable||Flammables Cupboard||2 x 1 L||2 x 2 L||Cleaning & Degreasing Solvent, especially useful for welding|
|IsoPropyl Alcohol||IsoPropanol, Rubbing Alcohol||Flammable||Flammables Cupboard||2 x 1L||4 x 1L||Cleaning Solvent, especially useful for electronics|
|Methylated Spirits||Methanol, Methyl Alcohol||Flammable, Toxic||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 1L||1 x 400mL||General cleaning solvent, Fuel|
|PCB Photoresist Developer||Sodium MetaSilicate||Corrosive, Harmful||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 250gm||1 x 250gm
1 x 150gm
|PCB Etchant||Ferric Chloride||Corrosive, Harmful||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 250gm||1 x 250ml of made-up solution||PCB Processing|
|Caustic Soda||Sodium Hydroxide||Corrosive||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 500gm||1 x 100gm||Strong cleaner and degreaser|
|White Spirit||Light Kerosene||Flammable||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 300ml||1 x 500ml||Cleaner, paint thinner, brush cleaner|
These are less frequently used chemicals which are obtained only when needed and not automatically replaced when they run out. Greyed-out entries are currently out of stock, if you want them replaced ask on the mailing list so price and suitability can be discussed
|Product Name||Chemical Name(s)||Hazards||Location||Actual Stock level||Notes|
|TetraHyrdoFuran||Oxolane||Flammable, Irritant||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 80ml|
|Polyester Resin Hardener||Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide in DiMethyl Pthalate||Oxidizing, Corrosive, Explosive if allowed to dry||Corrosives Cupboard||
2 x 100ml 1 x 50ml 1 x 40ml
|Stock should be sufficient to use with the available resin|
|Polyester Resin||Styrene, Maleic Anhydride||Flammable, Irritant||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 2Kg|
|Polyester Resin (Traffic Yellow)||Styrene, Maleic Anhydride||Flammable, Irritant||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 2Kg|
|Clear Casting Resin||Styrene, Maleic Anhydride||Flammable, Irritant||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 2.5Kg|
|ASC Polyester ( Marine Grade)||Styrene, Maleic Anhydride||Flammable, Irritant||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 600mL|
|HydroChloric Acid 35%||Corrosive||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 1L|
|Sulphuric Acid 96%||Oil of Vitriol||Corrosive||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 1L|
|Rawl R-KF2 Polyester Fixing Resin||Oxidizing, Irritant||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 380mL||In gun cartirdge|
|Table Salt||Sodium Chloride||Corrosive||Corrosives Cupboard||
1 x 750gm 1x 300gm
|Ordinary table salt, but after storage in the cupboards CANNOT be considered food-safe any longer|
|Easy-Flo Flux Powder||Irritant||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 150gm|
|Leak Detector Spray||Non-Hazardous||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 410ml|
|Top-up Water||Deionized Water||Non-Hazardous||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 500ml|
|Red Annodizing Dye||Corrosives Cupboard||1 x 1.5L||For staining annodized aluminium|
|Acitgrip Neoprene Cement||Flammable, Toxic, Harmful||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 3L|
|Dial Paint and Varnish Remover||DiChloroMethane||Flammable, Harmful||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 800ml|
|Cellulose Thinner||Flammable, Harmful||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 400mL|
|Vegetable Oil||Rapeseed Oil||Flammable||Flammables Cupboard||
1 x 1L 1 x 2L
|For use quenching hot metals - NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION!!|
|Danish oil||Flammable||Flammables cupboard||1 x 500ml||Wood finishing|
|Tensol-12||PMMA in DiChloroMethane||Flammable, Harmfull||Flammables Cupboard||1 x 50ml||Acrylic Glue|
These are chemicals stored for a member's specific project, they are for the use of that member only and will be removed as soon as that project is completed. Anything still in the cupboards after the shown removal date may be removed and discarded at any time
Parts and upgrades that are planned/Budgeted/Purchased for in the near future
Chemical Store Caretakers
These are the people who look after the chemicals store, they're the ones to contact if there's any problems with it
|Steve-R||In reading around 50% of the time, fast response if in reading|
If you make any non-trivial changes to chemical storage please note it here, delete records older than 1 yr