Ultimaker 2+ 3D Printers
|Owing to it's dangerous nature, delicate nature, or expense, this tool requires that you be inducted on it's proper handling before use.|
The lab has a pair of Ultimaker 2+ 3D printers. The Ultimaker 2+ 3D printer is a pro-sumer level 3D printer that has a build volume of approximately 200mm x 200 mm x 200mm. Its head can reach 260C and the bed up to 110C which allows us to print in a wide variety of materials including PLA, ABS, PET, PETg, HIPS, TPU, ASA, PVA, PVB and Nylon.
The printers are kept in the main upstairs area between the workstation PC's with a box of accessories and cleaning materials near by. There is a charge for using the 3D printers which depends on the material used and the weight of the 3D print in question. All the materials in the lab are labelled with a price per gram (as measured in Cura when you slice the model) and there's a 50p minimum charge. Use-charges for the 3D printers should go in the main room honesty pot by the door. For commercial use these charges are doubled. Induction is required for the 3D printers, not so much because they're dangerous (although they do have hot parts and pinch points) but because they're delicate and expensive and some knowledge is required to get good results.
The manual for the 3D printer is here.
Care must be taken to slice the model for the correct print nozzle size as the two printers are fitted with different nozzles. The left-hand printer is fitted with a 0.4mm nozzle and the right-hand printer has a 0.6mm nozzle. The smaller nozzle can produce finer results but at a slower print speed. We are using Olsson ruby nozzles in both printers to extend the lifespan and range of materials that can be printed.
|8th June 2020||Fully Functional||Bearings on the 0.6mm printer are starting to fail but still functional for now|
Parts and upgrades that are planned/Budgeted/Purchased for in the near future
- No changes are planned to the 3D printer
Ultimaker 2+ Caretakers
The following people are able to provide inductions on the Ultimaker 2+
These are the people who look after and repair the Ultimaker 2+, they're the ones to contact if there's any problems with it
If you make any non-trivial changes to the Ultimaker 2+ or perform maintenance please note it here, delete records older than 1 yr
- Live-view webcam installed and made available on the wiki Jmf (talk) & Ruperte (talk) 17:57, 7 July 2020 (UTC)
- Reinstall ruby nozzles and recommission printers after return from NHS efforts. Stever (talk) 06:27, 8 June 2020 (UTC)
- Thorough clean and complete overhaul of both printers. Stever (talk) 10:58, 1 April 2020 (UTC)
- Second printer installed and tested. Jmf (talk) 18:02, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- All axis rods cleaned and lubricated, head cooling fan replaced (again....). Stever (talk) 16:06, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
- All axis rods cleaned and lubricated Stever (talk) 13:18, 29 September 2018 (UTC)
- Head cooling fan replaced Ruperte (talk) 20:43, 28 September 2018 (UTC)
- Head cooling fan is failing, replacement has been ordered Stever (talk) 17:09, 27 September 2018 (UTC)