uCurrent Gold Precision current shunt/meter
Can be used for measuring very small currents as milli-volt equivalents on a scope / meter. Ideal for measuring the power usage of microcontrollers. Bought with pledges from Hackspace members.
The current shunt is kept on the shelves above the electronics benches in a labelled box.
NOTE: Care is required in using the unit to prevent overloads.
Due to need to keep the burden voltage low, overload protection is NOT INCLUDED in the design. That means NO FUSES.
|10th September 2018||Fully Functional||No reported problems|
- 3 Current ranges:
- +/- 0-1250mA (20µV / mA burden voltage typical) * switch contact resistance plays a role here. 10uV due to the shunt resistor.
- +/- 0-1250µA (10µV / uA burden voltage)
- +/- 0-1250nA (10µV / nA burden voltage)
- NOTE: Higher currents are available by increasing the battery voltage, to a maximum of 5.5V, which would give +/-2250mA/2250µA/2250nA maximum)
- Output Voltage Units:
- NOTE: You simply read your mV multimeter range as if it were mA/µA/nA
- Resolution (nA range): 100pA (3.5digit meter), 10pA (4.5 digit meter), 1pA (5.5 digit meter)
- Accuracy (typical): <+/-0.05% on µA and nA ranges, <+/-0.1% on mA range.
- Output Offset Voltage: <50µV (essentially insignificant on 4.5 digit meter)
- Bandwidth: >300KHz (-3dB)
- Temperature Drift: <10ppm / degC (µA/nA), <15ppm / degC (mA)
- Noise: < -90dBV
- THD: < -60dB
- Battery: CR2032 Lithium coin cell (optional 3 x AAA’s)
- Battery Life: >50 hours (battery good LED ensures accurate measurement when LED is on). 2.65V cutout voltage.
Parts and upgrades that are planned/Budgeted/Purchased for in the near future
If you make any non-trivial changes to the uCurrent Gold or perform maintenance please note it here, delete records older than 1 yr